Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm a Mexicant


Ok, so I've been slacking with the Mexican food. This I know. I tried going to some places around my work for Al Pastor and Carnitas...places that I've gone before and had pretty good veggie burritos at. Not so much. The Al Pastor at El Super Burrito was El Super Greasy. The Carnitas at another little taqueria in Burlingame were a bit dry and flavorless. Again, it's taking some re-training on my part, that good food is hard to find. There is a sea of average food, and a few islands of really good food with great distances in between. Amazingly, the best carnitas I've had was at the Penalty Box at the Tied house in San jose. That's a deal the Tied house puts on every home game for the San Jose Sharks. 2 hours before the game they open the patio, and for $20 it's all you can drink beer and all you can eat taco bar, with chicken, carnitas, and carne asada. Damn, did I get my money's worth at that gig. This week I am going to make a concerted effort to hit up Taqueria Latina in Sunnyvale, which supposedly has amazing Al Pastor, and Tlaquepaque, which is just really good all around family style Mexican in San Jose. Oh yeah, then it's one to the taco trucks. Please let me know if you know of any good ones and I will try to find them.

5 comments:

t.a.f.k.a.y.e.l.r.a. said...

Oh, Bill...

You should have known better than to go to Super Burrito. Blech.

For an awesome al pastor, go to La Altena on Mission @ 22nd.

The best al pastor I have ever had. No one has ever come close to beating it.

Also check out Taqueria Vallarta. It's deep in the Mission, but has the best tacos in town. Especially if they're selling them outside on a nice Saturday afternoon.

I know someone who lives a few blocks from both of these amazing establishments. Perhaps you should ask her to take you there? She loves Vallarta.

sc7476 said...

Taqueria Latina, Ruby's, and Tres Portrillo's (possibly the divine trinity of all Taqueria's?) all have excellent Carne Asada Tacos.

sc7476 said...

El Paisa Taqueria
3070 Senter Rd
San Jose, CA 95111

This taco "truck" (actually it's a trailer) has al Pastor Burritos that have been described by some as "the best burrito in the world".

whitneybee said...

I have to mention Los Charros in Mountain View for carnitas (the one on Dana Street, not the one on El Camino - though I think they're the same owners, but the one on Dana is more taqueria-like). I hear their carne asada is good too, but I haven't tried it yet because I can't not order the carnitas when I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Props to you Bill for your mission of finding good Mexican food. Always a favorite of mine and Joel's so I will send along a suggestion. A little place on Campbell Ave in San Jose called Los Pericos. Hole in the wall = delicious. Give it a shot!